Click here for important 2021 contest dates and information.
Information for Educators
Because National History Day is a highly regarded program linked to both national and Pennsylvania State education standards, local teachers find the program an exciting way to meet education outcomes in grades 6-12 and to provide their students with an exciting "hands-on" learning experience.
Teachers are important in helping students participate in National History Day!
- Teachers coach students on research skills, like using libraries, archives, and museums or conducting oral history interviews.
- Teachers can challenge their students to develop their critical thinking skills by getting them beyond just relaying facts.
- Teachers can guide students through the process of producing a project, helping them to manage time and follow a schedule.
- Most importantly, teachers can make the National History Day project work an integral part of classroom learning, thereby linking the classroom to a real life and rewarding experience!
Many schools participating in National History Day will hold a local contest or fair at their school to give students a "dress rehearsal" or elimination round. These are ways to prepare students for the regional, state and national competitions levels, where they will have to present their project work and be evaluated.
Many teachers seek parent involvement with National History Day, which has proven a wonderful way for building lasting connections.
Resources and Tools for Teachers
- NHD Philly Regional Competition Registration Instructions
- For help in your classroom and student mentors, contact Andrea Reidell at [email protected]
- See our Students Corner to get tips and guidance for your students.
- NHD maps to National and Pennsylvania State standards
- National History Day, PA Standards, PSSA Reading and Math Anchors
- All students must complete our media release form which has changed this year due to the virtual nature of the contest. Check back later for a link to the form.
- NHD Program Evaluation
- Each fall, check out our workshop schedule.