Online Databases and ResourcesSOPHIE GALA (competitor in the 2021 NHD Season, where she went on to compete at the National Competition) has crafted two amazing Resource Packets for students: The NHD Research Resource Guide and the NHD Web Central Handbook.
More Online Resources
- Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries Search the Union Catalogue. Find links to each of the PACSCL institutions, some of the greatest history collections in the world!
- Chronicling America Search America's historic newspapers pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress.
- The Philadelphia Architects and Buildings Database provides authoritative information on three centuries of Philadelphia buildings and designers. PAB incorporates data and images from the collections of more than 25 Philadelphia-area repositories.
- PhillyHistory.org PhillyHistory.org is a website which displays the City of Philadelphia City Archives' historic photo collection. The website is available to the public for free and is searchable by keyword, year, address and neighborhood.
- ExplorePAHistory Comprehensive resource guide to state history. Includes information on attractions, events and activities. Includes a database of every historical marker in Pennsylvania!
- Historic American Building Survey/Historic American Engineering Record (HABS/HAER) holdings at the Library of Congress: HABS/HAER holdings contain more than 40,000 historic structures surveys by the Historic American Buildings Survey and the Historic American Engineering Record programs of the National Park Service. These surveys include measured drawings, photographs, and written historical and architectural reports for historic structures and sites dating from the 17th though the 20th centuries in the United States and its territories.
- The Library of Congress American Memory On-line System Search by an array of topics: Advertising, African American History, Architecture, Cities and Towns, Folklife and Culture, Environment, Government and Law, Immigration and American Expansion, Literature, Maps, Native American History, Performing Arts, Presidents, Religion, Sports, Technology and Industry, War and Military, Women's History. Even ask an expert librarian a question!
- The National Archives Check out the records of the American democracy and our national experience. Enter the research room of regional archives across the country, the Presidential Libraries, the Washington, D. C. archives, and the Digital Classroom.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania Resources for NHD include ideas for choosing a topic and links to the primary sources at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania for doing the research. It also provides tips for students and teachers on how to work with primary sources.
Also check out our listing of NHD Philadelphia Participating Research Partners Find links to over 25 of Philadelphia's premier history institutions, including libraries and archives, museums, and historic sites.
Still Need Help? Ask the NHDPhilly Coordinator!