text: seven walking tours through historic Philadelphia

Tun Tavern

In November, 1775, the Second Continental Congress commissioned a young Philadelphian, Samuel Nicholas, to serve as the first Commandant of the United States Marines Corps (then called the Continental Marine Corps - the United States did not yet exist as a nation). A tribute to the founding of the Marines honors the event in nearby New Hall Military Museum.

Nicholas set about enlisting marines in the newly established military organization. His base of operations for this recruitment drive was Tun Tavern, a popular local watering hole built by Joshua Carpenter in the late 17th Century.

Plaque commemorating Tun Tavern

Tun Tavern burned down in 1781, near the end of the Revolutionary War. It's unlikely to be reconstructed, at least not on its original site, which is now occupied by Interstate 95. But a memorial plaque close to the original site commemorates this important piece of American history.

Return to the corner of Second and Spruce. Walk south toward the Head House. Before reaching Pine Street, turn right on Delancey and stroll the long block to 3rd Street, passing Philip Street and American Street on the north side.

Society Hill