|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
At 8th and Locust Streets, continue on the east side of the street to the Reynolds-Morris House at 225 South 8th. It was built by John Reynolds in 1787, as a date etched onto a cornerstone informs us. There was great activity in Philadelphia in the postwar years and a building boom of sorts was in progress. In 1817 Reynolds sold the house to Luke Wistar Morris, the son of captain Samuel Morris of the first City Troop. Built in Flemish bond of alternating red stretcher and black header brick (as so many of the houses hereabout were), it has a handsome doorway of notable proportions, set between fluted and quilled pilasters. There is a fine pediment over it and the lock and brasses on the door are worthy of note.
Although it is no longer standing, at 222, was the house where Amos Bronson Alcott's school stood. He was a renowned teacher and abolitionist. His daughter was Louisa May Alcott, author of "Little Women."