|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
PSFS and Ayer Buildings
To the north, the square is dominated by the Curtis Publishing Company building and on the west side of the square on the corner of 7th and Walnut Streets, was the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, which opened here in 1869. A 19th-century gray stone pile, it has been designated a historic building, as it is a fine example of the period.
Just behind it on 7th Street is the magnificent former headquarters of N.W. Ayer, once one of Philadelphia's greatest advertising agencies, now located in New York. The corner of 7th and Locust Streets is the home of W.B. Saunders Company, one of the world's largest medical publishers.