|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
Locust Street houses
Locust Street window
Across the street are a group of brownstones that date from the Civil War period and later. 1622 Locust, which once housed the Women's City Club, has been handsomely restored by a firm of lawyers. The Rosenbach brothers conducted their rare book business from number 1618 (an 1850 Italianate home attributed to John Notman, with alterations by Wilson Eyre in 1888). This elegant structure has a small projecting bay window, where a rare book or an illuminated manuscript used to be displayed. There is an unusual stained glass fanlight over the bay and an unusual, very wide door as well.