text: seven walking tours through historic Philadelphia



Rock Resource Center

Rittenhouse District 12

Continuing east, cross Mozart Place (a.k.a. Bouvier St.) and come to a smaller building, also belonging to Curtis. Built in 1908, this Beaux-Arts mansion was designed by Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer. Originally it was the home of Theodore F. Cramp, the shipbuilding magnate, and later the salon of Elizabeth Arden, the cosmetician. A copy of a French townhouse, as is the one adjoining it, the building strikes a note of elegance along the quiet street. After its aquisition by Curtis, the building was named Knapp Hall after the Institute's founder's mother, Louisa Knapp Curtis

The building currently houses the Rock Resource Center. It's not for Curtis students minoring in geology, and contrary to what you might expect from a music institute, it's not the real world version of School of Rock. Named after Dr. Milton L. Rock, a former chairman of the Curtis Board of Trustees, the Rock Resource Center provides Curtis students an extraordinary collection of printed music, recordings, and other resources.



Rittenhouse Square