|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
New Hall (Military Museum)
This building is today the Military Museum at New Hall. The present structure is in fact a reconstruction of the one built in 1790 and used by the War Department in 1791 and 1792. It now houses the Army-Navy Museum, and there are flags, guns, swords, epaulets, uniforms and medals on display. There is also a diorama depicting the establishment of the Continental Marine Corps at Philadelphia's Tun Tavern in 1775.
Children and adults love "Try Your Hand at Maneuvering for a Sea Battle." In this display the left switch controls the ship's rudder, the right trims the sails. Instructions tell us to "assume a southern wind" and, with success, a green light glows. It is a splendid way of making history come alive.
Just outside the Military Museum is an original "watch box" of old Philadelphia. The "watch," who reported, "It's six o'clock and all's well," kept an eye out for fires, thefts, attack by the enemy and any untoward events during the night. The watch box was his protection from rain, wind and cold between his rounds.