The President's House in Philadelphia
Archaeology Closing Ceremony at the President's House: July 31, 2007
On July 31, 2007, a closing ceremony was conducted marking the end of the archaeology at the President's House. Over the next several weeks the ruins will be protected temporarily with a special fabric and with backfill awaiting decisions on how to incorporate the archaeological findings in the commemoration.
« Index of Archaeology Photo Galleries, Maps, etc.
All pictures ©2007
ushistory.org. Click pictures for enlargements.
Jed Levin (NPS Archaeologist)
Cheryl J. LaRoche (URS Cultural Heritage Specialist)
Joyce Wilkerson (Chief of Staff, City of Philadelphia)
Michael Coard, Esq. (Founding Member, Avenging the Ancestors Coalition)
Roz McPherson (Owner's Representative)
African prayer and the pouring of water and sand from the Nile
Karen Warrington (Director of Communications for Representative Robert A. Brady)
From left, Archaeologists Cheryl LaRoche, Lovely Elysee, Jed Levin
Plaques with the names of the 9 enslaved Africans who worked at the President's House placed within the kitchen walls
Inquirer reporter Stephan Salisbury talking with project director Emanuel Kelly
Cheryl LaRoche posing with Steve Tull (URS Project Supervisor) and firefighters
A view from the south of the dig
Interested in using our content?
Independence Hall Association, a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1942. Publishing electronically as ushistory.org. On the Internet since July 4, 1995.