ushistory logo<
buy a poster
ushistory logo

The President's House in Philadelphia




Archaeology at the President's House: Week of July 4, 2007

After excavating the pit features, it is now thought that none of these was a privy, and none of these wells was used during the President's House era. Where did they get their water? Where did they go to relieve themselves? Perhaps further excavation would reveal the answers. Congratulations to the archaeologists who spread out to answer everyone's questions. Visitation was huge this week! Click pictures for enlargements.

« Index of Archaeology Photo Galleries, Maps, etc.

dm01

NPS
Clay pipe fragments out of feature 22 — the Zorn property (524 Market); these all date to the late 19th century, or about 100 years after the President's House era.

dm02

NPS
Profile shot of the bottom of Feature 3 — the well at the far south end of the excavation. This well appears to contain only early 19th century fill deposits, but also contains an intact section of the original well pump — that's the telephone pole looking thing in the center of the well.

dm03

NPS
Looking up from the bottom of Feature 3 — gives you some perspective on what the original well diggers must have experienced.

apic14

apic15

apic16

apic17

bpic01

bpic02

bpic03

bpic04

pic03

pic04

pic05

pic06

pic07

pic08

pic09

pic11

pic12

pic14

pic15

pic16

pic18

pic19

pic20

pic25

pic26

pic27

pic28

pic29



ushistory logo Facebook

Interested in using our content? Click here!

Copyright ©1999- by the Independence Hall Association, a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1942. Publishing electronically as ushistory.org. On the Internet since July 4, 1995.