They can be viewed as simple oddities, quirky objects or places with little significance or meaning. Or they can be seen as delightful rarities - little gems that spark wonder, curiosity, bemusement. Perhaps, no other city has such an abundance of little-known, off-beat fascinating gems as Philadelphia.
After visiting the historic shrines, museums, colonial-era houses, monuments, art and architect, there is still an endless supply of Philadelphia oddities to amuse and delight.
Here is our list of Philadelphia's most interesting, quirky (at times macabre) curiosities.
- Biopond at U of P
- Wistar Brain Collection
- Cider Press at Bartram's Gardens
- Dedication Stone of the Free Quaker Meeting House
- The Giant Slide at Smith Playground
- The Gibbet
- Grindstone Church
- Grip, the raven
- Harriet, the preserved nervous system
- The Cave of Kelpius
- Mother and Twins Monument, Laurel Hill Cemetery
- Old Baldy, the stuffed horse
- Peter the mint eagle
- The Rocky Balboa statue
- Sparks Shot Tower
- Bucket of Teeth
- William Hayes' Tumor
- The Whispering Bench