|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
Adjoining it at 336 is the Wharton House. It and others stand on what was once known as "Old Almshouse Square" (3rd to 4th, Spruce to Pine). The present house was built in 1790 by Samuel Pancoast, a member of the Carpenters' Company. In 1800 the house was occupied by Anthony Morris who, in 1813, represented the United States at the Court of Spain and conducted the diplomatic negotiations which resulted in the purchase of Florida from Spain. At his death in 1860, aged 95, he was the last survivor of the wedding party of President James Madison and Dolley Payne Todd. Later residents were William and Deborah Wharton, whose son Joseph (1826-1909) founded the Wharton School of finance at the University of Pennsylvania, one of the most important of its kind in the world. The Wharton House is now the rectory of Christ Church.