|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
The Head House, Georgian in design and built in 1803 for meetings of the commissioners, fire companies and citizens, dominates the market arcades behind. Sometime in the middle of the 18th century a pair of market houses was built in the center of 2nd Street. They were later enlarged and had grown to some 440 feet by 1811. These were probably the oldest public market houses in the country before they were torn down and the market itself, used by craftsmen today to display their wares, can probably claim the distinction of being the oldest American market still in continual use.