Seven Walking Tours
FRONT PAGE
FAIRMOUNT PARK
INDEPENDENCE HALL AREA
HISTORIC, NORTH OF MARKET
PARKWAY
RITTENHOUSE
SOCIETY HILL
WASHINGTON SQUARE
PREVIOUS STOP ... NEXT STOP ...

Cadwalader House

Society Hill 08

Adjoining the Shippen-Wistar House at 240 South 4th Street, and abutting the burial ground of St. Mary's Church is the Cadwalader House. Built in 1826 by Joseph Parker Norris in what had been a garden of the Shippen-Wistar House, this four-story house (plus dormered attic) has particularly graceful fanlights over both doors that face 4th Street. It was bought in 1837 by Judge John Cadwalader.

historic documents, declaration, constitution, more