|PREVIOUS STOP ...||NEXT STOP ...|
Old First Reformed Church
From here walk north to 4th and Race and find the Old First Reformed Church of the United Church of Christ (originally the German Reformed Church). The present building is the third church on the site and was dedicated in 1837 (the church was founded in 1727). In 1882 the congregation moved to another location — this had originally been a German-speaking neighborhood — and then this lovely old building was used as part of a paint factory; between 1882 and 1966 some unsightly appendages were incorporated. When the congregation returned to its original location, these eyesores were removed, the old brick cleaned and restored.