Published in 1776, Common Sense challenged the authority of the British government and the royal monarchy. The plain language that Paine used spoke to the common people of America and was the first work to openly ask for independence from Great Britain.
- Introduction to the Third Edition
- Of the Origin and Design of Government in General, with Concise Remarks on the English Constitution
- Of Monarchy and Hereditary Succession
- Thoughts on the Present State of American Affairs
- Of the Present Ability of America: with some Miscellaneous Reflections
- Appendix to the Third Edition