Home History Friends Visiting Reenactment News Events Site Usage Teachers Kids Links

Visiting

print Printer-Friendly

What To See!

Accessible

1. Memorial Building and Visitor Center

Provides orientation and information about Washington Crossing Historic Park. Documentary film, gift shop, restrooms, ticket sales and Park offices.

Accessible

2. Durham Boat House

Boat Barn
Rich Buser
This building houses replica Durham boats in the Park.

A 20th century structure housing the Durham boat replicas. These boats were originally used to haul iron ore and were the sturdy type of craft used by Washington and his men for the crossing. Today, these Durham boat replicas are used in the annual re-enactment of Washington crossing the Delaware held on Christmas Day.

3. McConkey's Ferry Inn

mckonkey_ferry_inn_exterior

An 18th-century inn and tavern owned during the time of Washington's crossing by Samuel McConkey who operated a successful ferry business across the Delaware River. The inn served as a guardpost during the Continental Army's encampment in Bucks County in December, 1776, with earthworks and cannon defending the ferry landing. According to tradition, the inn is where Washington and his aides ate their dinner prior to the crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas day. Additions were made to the inn in the late 18th century and early 19th century by the Taylor family. The building continued to serve as an innfor many decades.

4. Mahlon K. Taylor House

mahlon_taylor_winter

This home was built c. 1817 for one of the town founders of Taylorsville, reflecting the status and prosperity of the Taylor family in the community.

5. Taylorsville Store

The Patriot General Store
Rich Buser
The original Taylorsville General Store is today the Patriot Shoppe — a place where visitors can buy souvenirs.

Owned and operated by Mahlon K. Taylor beginning c. 1828. This was also the Post Office for Taylorsville (now known as Washington Crossing), with Mahlon Taylor serving as postmaster for almost 40 years. The Taylorsville Store is operated as a general store open to the public.

6. Hibbs House

Hibbs House
Rich Buser
The Hibbs House was built as a crafter's cottage c. 1830.

A restored and furnished 19th-century home built c. 1828-1830 as part of the village of Taylorsville. It was leased out as a tenant house for craftsmen, advertised as a wheelwright's house and shop. Open-hearth cooking demonstrations can be seen here at various times throughout the year.

7. Frye House

frye house
Rich Buser
This historic structure was a crafter's home in the 1830's.

Another example of Taylorsville tenant home built c. 1828-1830 by the Taylor family. The home is believed to have been built for a blacksmith. A recreated blacksmith shop is located beside the Frye house and is used for demonstrations at various times throughout the year.

Bathroom

8. Thompson-Neely House

The Thompson Neely House
Rich Buser
The Thompson-Neely House was constructed in several phases throughout the mid to late 18th century.

This nationally recognized structure located along Pidcock Creek is a fine example of 18th century architecture. During the winter of 1776-77, this home of Robert Thompson and his son-in-law William Neely was used to aid and care for convalescing soldiers who were healing from wounds r suffering from diseases and camp illnesses. The house was built in four sections. The central portion of the house, built by John Simpson, a Quaker mill owner, dates to c. 1740. Upon his death, his Scotch-Irish Presbyterian miller, Robert Thompson, married Simpson's widow and claimed ownership of the property. Thompson added the west side of the house in 1757 as well as a second floor extension over the centeral portion. The east side of the house was completed in 1788 for Thompson's dauther and her husband, William Neely, as a separate dwelling. In close proximity to the Thompason-Neely House stands a barn and various outbuildings, restored examples of structures that would have completed an 18th century farm complex.

9. Thompson-Neely Grist Mill

gristmill
Rich Buser
The Neely gristmill is open seasonally for tours.

Restored, water-powered mill built in the 1830's by the Neely family. The original Mill, constructed nearly a century earlier, was located approximately 100 yards downstream from the present mill.

Accessible

10. Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve

Devoted to the preservation of the native plants of Pennsylvania. Features trails, programs, special events and exhibits. The Headquarters building contains a sales shop, public restrooms and the Preserve offices. The Preserve is administered by the Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve Association, Inc., under an agreement with the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.

11. Bowman's Hill Tower

bowman
Bowman's Hill Tower

A 125 foot tower completed in 1931 to commemorate the American Revolution, the tower boasts a commanding view of the Delaware River and surrounding countryside. The tower height is reached by elevator and 23 stone steps. This site is open seasonally.

12. Soldiers' Graves

Grave sites of N.Y. Artillery Captain James Moore and many unknown soldiers of the American Revolution who died during the winter encampment of 1776-77.