Order of Battle
The need for troops was a constant worry for General Washington as short enlistments ran out quickly and troops numbers fluctuated from campaign to campaign.
No definitive list of individuals exists which names each person who crossed the Delaware River on December 25, 1776. The following units have been noted as being present at the crossing. (Courtesy of the David Library of the American Revolution)
First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry
- Commander in Chief's Guard (Washington's Lifeguard)
Bridgehead and Advance Guard
- Brig. Gen. Adam Stephen's Brigade
- Elliot's 4th Va. Regiment
- Scott's 5th Va. Regiment
- Buckner's 6th Va. Regiment
Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene's Div.
- Brig. Gen. Hugh Mercer's Brig.
- 20th Continental Regt. (Durkee's Conn.)
- 27th Continental Regt. (Hutchinson's Mass.)
- Smallwood's 1st Maryland Regt
- Brig. Gen. Lord Stirling's Brig.
- Weedon's 3rd Va. Regt.
- Haslet's Delaware Regt.
- Read's 1st Va. Regt.
- Miles' Pa. State Rifle Regt.
- Brig. Gen. Roche deFermoy's Brig.
- Hausseger's Pa.-Md. Rifle Bn.
- 1st Continental Regt. (Hand's Rifle Regt.)
Maj. Gen. John Sullivan's Div.
- Col. Paul D. Sargent's Brigade
- 16th Continental Regt. (Sargent's Mass.)
- Ward's Conn. Regt.
- 13th Continental Regt. (Reed's Mass.)
- Gransevoort 3rd New York Regt.
- Col. John Glover's Brigade
- 3rd Continental Regt. (Learned's Mass.)
- 19th Continental Regt. (Webb's Regt.)
- 14th Continental Regt. (Glover's Marblehead, Mass.)
- 23rd Continental Regt. (Bailey's Mass.)
- 26th Continental Regt. (Baldwin's Mass.)
- Brig. Gen. Arthur St. Clair's Brigade
- 5th Continental Regt. (Stark's NH)
- 2nd Continental Regt. (Reed's NH)
- 8th Continental Regt. (Poor's NH)
- 15th Continental Regt. (Patterson's Mass.)
Artillery (in support of several brigades Col. Henry Knox in command)
- Companies of Knox's Continental Artillery
- New York State Company of Artillery
- Eastern Company New York State Artillery
- Western Company New York State Artillery
- Mass. Company Continental Artillery
- New York Company Continental Artillery
- 2nd Company Pa. State Artillery
- The Pa. State Navy reinforced the gun crews of the above listed artillery units