Philadelphia Timeline, 1892
- January 28. Applegate's carrousel, or "Palace of Flying Animals" raided by the police, About 215 persons, of whom 106 were females, were arrested.
- February 9. The Quaker City Elevated Railroad bill passed Councils finally. The ordinance was signed by the mayor on February 21.
- February 11. Ontario Mills, Second Street and Columbia Avenue, destroyed by fire. Loss, $15,000.
- February 15. Dobson's blanket mills at the Falls of Schuylkill, burned. Loss, $150,000.
- February 17. The trustees of Jefferson Medical College confirmed the purchase of the ground on South Broad Street, for the new college and hospital buildings.
- February 23. The directors of the newly-organized Philadelphia Bourse selected the plot of ground bounded by Fourth, fifth, Merchant and Ranstead Streets, as the site for their new building.
- February 25. rev. Dr. Ignatius f. Horstmann consecrated as roman Catholic Bishop of Cleveland by Archbishop Elder of Cincinnati, at the cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul, with imposing ceremonies. the attending prelates and clergymen were entertained at a dinner at the Academy of Music in the afternoon.
- March 1. The will of Mrs. Anna H. Wilstach made public, It bequeathed about $2,000,000 to the city for an art-gallery, and bequests amounting in all to about $5,000,000 were made to the various charitable institutions. Permission granted by Councils to the Society of the Cincinnati to erect a monument of Washington in Independence Square. the Mayor signed the ordinance on March 10.
- March 11. Greaves & Bro.'s cotton and woolen yarn factory in Nicetown destroyed by fire. Loss, $50,000. James Graves, a member of the firm, was suffocated by smoke, and died a few days later.
- March 14. The steamer Hartford launched at Neafie & Levy's shipyard.
- March 16. The barrel factory connected with the Spredkels sugar refinery destroyed by fire. Loss, about $200,000.
- March 17. A portion of the Philadelphia Market Company's building at thirtieth and market Streets, destroyed by fire. Loss about $200,000.
- March 22. The Schuetzen Park site approved by Common Councils as the best situation for the new subsiding reservoir.
- March 26. John Bromley & Sons' mill, front and Lehigh Avenue, damaged by fire. Loss estimated at $375,000.
- March 27. The jury in the case of Robert Cascaden, charged with the murder of Policeman Findlay, discharged, being unable to agree. Fire at H. O. Wilbur & Son's cocoa and chocolate manufactory on Third Street near New. Loss, about $175,000.
- April 1. The Frankford and Southwark Passenger Railway company took possession of the Tenth and Eleventh Streets Passenger Railway.
- April 3. The Mutual Banking, Surety, Trust and Safe Deposit Company closed by order of the State Commissioner of Banks.
- April 5. The work of demolishing the Twelfth street Market to make room for the Reading Terminal was commenced.
- April 21. The Methodist Episcopal Hospital at Broad and Wolf Streets was dedicated by Bishop Foss.
- April 27. A fire which originated in the Central Theater destroyed that building, the Times newspaper office on Sansom Street above Eight Street, and several stores on Eight Street. Six performers were buried in the ruins of the theater, and seven persons in the audience were fatally injured. The loss amounted to nearly $1,000,000.
- May 7. Applegate's Place of Flying Animals was destroyed by fire.
- May 8. The Reading Railway in-bound freight depot, at Delaware Avenue and Noble Street, sustained about $50,000 damage by fire.
- May 11. Police Captain Joseph M. Schooley committed suicide by shooting in the City Hall.
- May 12. the Hammett-Souder ordinance, authorizing the Mayor to grant to the Traction Company the privilege of operating their cars by the trolley system, was passed by both branches of City Councils.
- May 14. the coroner's jury which investigated the Central theater fire, found that the lease of the theater was grossly negligent in not providing sufficient means of escape.
- June 26. The fast, protected cruiser, Columbia, claimed to be the most formidable war-vessel in the world, was successfully launched at Cramp's shipyard. the vessel was formally christened by Miss Edith Morton, daughter of the Vice-president of the United States.
- August 3. James Hunter who for five years had been a fugitive from justice in South America, returned to Philadelphia to make answer to the charges of forgery to be made against him.
- August 12. The Board of Port Wardens unanimously voted in favor of granting permission to the Belt Line Railroad Company to build its roadway along the Delaware river front at Bridesburg.
- August 15. The construction of the Traction Company's electric trolley line on Catharine and Bainbridge Streets was commenced.
- August 16. the officers of the Mutual Banking, Surety, Trust and Safe Deposit Company made an assignment for the benefit of creditors to A. E. Stockwell.
- August 18. Stockholders of the Ridge avenue Passenger Railway Company leased the line to the Traction Company, the lease to go into effect September 1.
- August 19. The construction of the Quaker City elevated railroad begun by the breaking of ground at Belmont and Elm Avenues.
- September 3. The steam-yacht Yankee Doolde, which her owners claimed to be the fastest boat afloat, was destroyed by fire off Tinicum Island.
- October 17. The first free public library established by the city was opened at the Wagner Institute.
Excerpted from "Happenings in ye Olde Philadelphia 1680-1900" by Rudolph J. Walther, 1925, Walther Printing House, Philadelphia, PA