Philadelphia Timeline, 1877
- January 1. The Supreme Court took possession of their new apartments, City Hall, Broad and Market Streets.
- January 19. Fire at the flour mills of Detwiler & Co., 3042-44 Market Street; loss, $75,000.
- January 20. Fire at Baeder & Adamson's glue factory, m Allegheny Avenue and Richmond Street; loss, $20,000.
- Fire at sash and blind factory of Keller & Krouse, St. John (American) Street; loss, $30,000.
- February 5. New fire station of Truck D, Union Street below Fourth, formally occupied by the company.
- February 6. New police station at Girard Avenue and Vienna (E Berks) Street, 11th District, formally occupied.
- February 22. Citizens of Philadelphia presented to John Welsh, president of the Centennial Exhibition Board of Finance, $50,000 in commemoration of his zealous and unselfish labors in promoting the success of the Centennial Exhibition. The money was transferred to the University of Pennsylvania for the perpetual support of "the John Welsh Professorship of History and English Literature.
- February 23. Synagogue of the Hebrew Congregation Beth-el-Emeth, Franklin Street above Green, rededicated.
- February 25. Fox's American Theatre, Chestnut Street above Tenth, with Rodger's carriage factory, and other buildings burned; loss, $300,000. One man killed.
- February 26. Meeting of butchers at Institute Hall, Broad and Spring Garden Streets. Strong resolutions against the proposition that all the butchers shall have slaughtering done at the abattoirs.
- March 10. Planning mill of Turner, Larrish & Co., Noble Street between Eleventh and Twelfth Streets, destroyed by fire; loss, $30,000.
- March 21. Trial of steam passenger cars on the West Philadelphia (Market Street) P. R. W. Co. Seven dummy engines in use.
- April 2. An exhibition of the powers of Elisha Gray's telephone at office of Western Union Telegraph Co., Tenth and Chestnut Streets. Music played at Philadelphia was heard in New York by an audience assembled at Steinway Hall.
- April 4. Menagerie storage building and stables of Adam Forepaugh, Wister Street near Godfrey Avenue, burned; loss, $20,000.
- May 1. Union Banking Co., Chestnut Street above Third, failed. Same day United States Banking Co., corner of Tenth and Chestnut Streets, failed.
- May 10. Permanent Exhibition formally opened in Philadelphia by President Hayes and ex-President Grant. Admissions estimated at 100,000.
- June 25. Cornerstone laid of new building of Central Presbyterian Church, on west side of Broad Street, north of Fairmount Avenue.
- July 8. The new Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railway (narrow gauge) opened by an excursion of officers of the road and others.
- July 16. Trial of the transmission of sound through Edison's vocal telephone at the Permanent Exhibition Building. Vocal music at the Central Station telegraph office, at Fifth and Chestnut Streets, was transmitted over the wires, and heard with great clearness at the Exhibition Building.
- July 19. Fire at Swift & Courtney's match factory, 219 North Forth Street; loss, $45,000.
- August 13. Swimming match on Delaware River between Thomas Coyle, of Chester and George H. Wade, of Brooklyn. Course from Red Bank to Gloucester, 4 miles. Race won by Wade. Time, 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- September 17. Jefferson Medical College Hospital, Ransom Street between Tenth and Eleventh Streets, formally opened.
- September 22. Great excitement among brokers and bankers in consequence of the discovery of an over-issue of stock of the Market Street Railway Co., which it was subsequently ascertained amounted to about 11,000 shares. John S Morton, President of the company, who with the Treasurer and Secretary had made the over-issue, resigned
- the office of President, and also resigned his position as President of the Permanent Exhibition Company.
- September 28. John S. Morton and others implicated, bound over to answer a charge of conspiracy to cheat and defraud.
- The 101st Anniversary of the adoption of the old Constitution of Pennsylvania celebrated at the Hotel La Fayette (west side of Broad Street below Chestnut, now site of Land Title Building).
- September 29. Fire at morocco factory of W. Schollenberger & Sons, S. W. Corner of Mascher and Putnam Streets; loss, $250,000.
- September 30. New Roman Catholic Church of Sacred Heart, Third Street below Reed, dedicated.
- Siloam Primitive Methodist Church, Otis (E. Susquehanna Avenue) and Moyer Streets, re-dedicated.
- October 6. New Farmers' Market, N. .W corner of Broad Street and Columbia Avenue, opened for business.
- October 19. First annual regatta of the Fairmount Rowing Association over the national course on the Schuylkill.
- November 3. Fox's new American Theatre, Chestnut Street above Tenth (re-built after the fire) was opened for performances.
- November 7. Fire at Randolph Mills, Randolph Street above Columbia Avenue, occupied by Weil & Sons, Harvey & Good, and others; loss, $50,000.
- November 22. Fire at southwest corner of Ninth and Chestnut Street; loss, $100,000.
- November 27. Farewell banquet to Hon. John Welsh, minister to England, at the Aldine Hotel., Public reception at the Academy of Fine Arts on the next day.
- December 9. German Lutheran Church of Holy Trinity, Sixteenth and Tioga Streets, formally opened.
- December 15. Fire at the building in which Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, at the southwest corner of Seventh and Market Streets; loss, $15,000, suffered by Simon & Co., trunk manufacturers, and Longacre & Co., wood engravers.
- December 25. The Alhambra Theatre on Broad Street re-opened by John S. Clarke, under the title of the Broad Street Theatre.
Excerpted from "Happenings in ye Olde Philadelphia 1680-1900" by Rudolph J. Walther, 1925, Walther Printing House, Philadelphia, PA