Philadelphia Timeline, 1844
- May 6. Riots in Kensington. Several killed.
- May 7. Riots renewed in Kensington. More people killed.
- May 8. Riots continued. St. Michael's Church (Second and Jefferson Streets) with the Female Seminary adjourning, burned in the afternoon. St. Augustine's Church (Fourth and New Streets) burned in the evening. All of above buildings totally destroyed.
- July 7. (Sunday). riots in Southwark; Church of St. Philip de Neri attacked. Fight at night between the military and the rioters; several persons killed.
- July 24. This is considered as the foundation date of the establishing of Fairmount Park. On this date the city purchased from the assignees of the defunct Bank of the United States the estate known as Lemon Hill, formerly the estate of Henry Pratt, fifty-two acres for $75,000. Sedgely, north of Lemon Hill, was acquired in 1856. The Landsdown property, on the west side of the Schuylkill, was acquired in 1866.
Excerpted from "Happenings in ye Olde Philadelphia 1680-1900" by Rudolph J. Walther, 1925, Walther Printing House, Philadelphia, PA