Philadelphia Timeline, 1838
- March 15. The Commissioners passed an ordinance establishing the Northern Liberties Gas Works. Capital, $200,000.
- April 1. Upper Ferry Bridge burned.
- May 14. Pennsylvania Hall, corner Sixth and Haines (Cresson) Streets, attacked by a mob.
- May 17. Pennsylvania Hall burned.
- May 18. Shelter for Colored Orphans, Thirteenth Street, above Callowhill, burned by a mob.
- October 4. Great fire on Chestnut Street Wharf, Delaware.
- December 17. Schuylkill Bank failed.
Excerpted from "Happenings in ye Olde Philadelphia 1680-1900" by Rudolph J. Walther, 1925, Walther Printing House, Philadelphia, PA