Philadelphia Timeline, 1600s
- First church built by the Swedes consecrated on Tinicum Island.
- Second Swedes church dedicated, in Southwark, below the present Christian Street.
- March 4. Charter of Pennsylvania granted by Charles II.
- October 24. Landing of Wm. Penn at New Castle, Delaware.
- November. Penn's Treaty with the Indians at Shackamaxon.
- August 12. Wm. Penn left Philadelphia, and returned to England.
- First paper mill established by William Rittenhouse, on Wissahickon Creek.
- Quaker meeting House built, S. W. Corner Second and High (Market) Streets, which was pulled down in 1755, and another erected, which was demolished in 1808.
- First school book published in America by Francis Pastorius.
Excerpted from "Happenings in ye Olde Philadelphia 1680-1900" by Rudolph J. Walther, 1925, Walther Printing House, Philadelphia, PA