Contest Rule Book
Section III C. Performances
Part II, Rules for all Categories applies to performances.
Rule 1: Time Requirements
Performances may not exceed 10 minutes in length. Timing starts at the beginning of the performance following the announcement of the title and student name(s). Any other introductory remarks will be considered part of the performance and will be counted as part of the overall time. You will be allowed an additional 5 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to remove any props needed for your performance.
Rule 2: Performance Introduction
The title of your entry and the names of the participants must be the first and only announcements prior to the start of the performance.
Rule 3: Media Devices
Use of slides, tape recorders, computers, or other media within your performance is permitted. You must run all equipment and carry out any special lighting or sound effects.
Rule 4: Script
The script for the performance should not be included with the written material presented to the judges.
Rule 5: Costumes
You may have a costume produced for you, but the design, choice of fabrics, etc. must be your own. Or, you may rent a costume. Remember: simple is best.
Individual and Group (2-5 students)
- 10 minutes maximum for performance
- Maximum 5 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to take down
- 3 copies (plus one for you) of written materials: title page with required information; 500 word description of the research methods used (a judging team may retain one copy for review)
- Annotated bibliography, separated into primary and secondary sources
- Performance addresses the theme
- All props and equipment are student supplied
- Only student entrants run equipment and are involved in the performance
- Extra supplies and materials in case of emergency
- Names and addresses of all group participants listed on entry card
- Entry card and fee mailed by deadline
- Prepare to answer judges' questions at the contest (remember that formal narratives are not appropriate responses to questions)