Iron Hill

Captain Montresor recorded in his journal that the Delaware militia retreated to Iron Hill. However in 1940, Edward Cooch, a descendant of Thomas Cooch for whom the bridge and battle were named, wrote a book on the events of 1777. He claimed that the militia moved to the summit of Sandy Brae, a small hill next to Iron Hill and just over the state line in Delaware in the present locality of Ott's Chapel. (Cannon balls have been found nearby.) Cooch believes from there the militia retreated to the American Camp on White Clay Creek where the New Castle and Sussex militia may have dispersed and where Caesar Rodney with the Kent County militia departed for Noxontown, near Middletown.

Copyright ©1997-2013 Independence Hall Association


Philadelphia Campaign 1777