Threat of Pathogens
Here is a preliminary list of bibliographic sources that should help in the issue of excavation of historic cemeteries/hazmat issues re. yellow fever cemeteries.
- Borstel, Christopher L. and Charles M. Niquette. 2000: Testing Procedures for Historic Cemeteries. ACRA Edition, Volume 6, Number 5, October 2000
- Bybee, Alexandra. (?) Risky Business: Potential Hazards in the Archaeological Invetigation of Historic Cemeteries.. Paper Presented at the 5th Annual Council for West Virginia Arheology Spring Workshop.
- Cotter, John L., Daniel G. Roberts, Michael Parrington. 1992: The Buried Past: An Archaeological History of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press.
Chapter: Washington Square: The Sage of the Unknown Soldier and the Anonymous Archaeologist, 205-215.
- Poirer, D.A. and K. Feder, eds. 2000: Dangerous Places, Health, Safety, and Archaeology. Westport, CT: Bergin and Garvey.
In this volume:
- Crist, Thomas A.J. Smallpox and Other Scourges of the Dead 79-106
- Konefes, John L. and Michael K. McGee Old Cemeteries, Arsenic, and Health Safety 127-135.
- Garman, James A Final Forewarning: Practical Steps to Providing Archaeologists with Safe Working Environments. Pp 221-233
- Ubelaker, Douglas 1995: Historic Cemetery Analysis: Practical Considerations. In Bodies of Evidence: Reconstructing History Through Skeletal Analysis, edited by Anne L. Grauer, pp. 37-48. New York, NY: Wiley