Visit our Shop online! Click here!
This building was probably built c.1797-1798. The fireback in the kitchen is old but probably not original to Hope Lodge. All of the woodwork in this room has been painted gray, the original color of the woodwork. We interpret the kitchen as typical of the 18th century. The bake oven is functional.
The back half of the kitchen wing was built in the 1920's by William and Alice Degn to serve as their winter residence. It was obviously built with a conscious appreciation for the architectural significance and integrity of the mansion. When the Degns purchased Hope Lodge in 1922, it was over 170 years old and had no central heating system. Rather then install one and cut through 18th century flooring, they constructed an addition to the existing kitchen to use as their winter quarters and lived in the mansion only during the warmer months of the year. The Degns installed a furnace and radiators in their winter residence. The reception/museum shop was the Degns' dining room; the orientation room was their living room. Upstairs the Degns had bedrooms, a bathroom, and a den; these spaces are now used as offices.