Hope Lodge Timeline
- 1743-1748: House built by Samuel Morris, called Whitemarsh Estate.
- 1748-1770: Samuel Morris
- 1770-1776: Morris' brother Joshua inherits ownership (no indication he lived here).
- 1776-1782: William West
- 1782-1832: Purchased by Henry Hope as a wedding gift for his ward, James Horatio Watmough, and lived in by two generations of Watmoughs. House renamed Hope Lodge.
- 1832-1921: The Wentz family
- 1921: Sold to Keasbey and Mattison, who planned on demolishing the house to extend a nearby limestone quarry.
- 1922-1953: William and Alice Degn (See Degn Timeline)
- 1953-1957: Hope Lodge Foundation
- 1957-present: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Read The People of Hope Lodge for information on the generations of people who lived at and owned Hope Lodge.