History at Hope Lodge
Hope Lodge was built between 1743 and 1748 by Samuel Morris, a prosperous Quaker entrepreneur. Morris acted as a farmer, shipowner, miller, ironmaster, shopowner, and owner of the mill now known as Mather Mill. Hope Lodge is an excellent example of early Georgian architecture, and it is possible that Edmund Woolley, architect of Independence Hall, offered advice in building. Samuel Morris owned the estate until his death in 1770, when it was inherited by his brother Joshua. Joshua in turn sold the property and dwelling to another Philadelphia merchant, William West.
- A Short History of Hope Lodge
- Two Time Periods at Hope Lodge
- Hope Lodge Timeline
- The Degns at Hope Lodge
- Hope Lodge Myths
- Mather Mill (Farmar's Mill)