The Degns at Hope Lodge
November 1922-December 1930
Timeline from the Ambler Gazette, Photograph from Hope Lodge
- 11/16/22: William L. Degn, of Philadelphia, who recently took title to Hope Lodge property, Whitemarsh, has been busily employed renovating the historic house and restoring same, as far as possible.
- 2/8/23: William L. Degn, of Philadelphia, who last summer has purchased the Hope Lodge property is still engaged in restoring the home to its original condition. The outside bricks have been cleaned, and the north and south ends of the house have been white coated...Inside the fireplaces, which have been boarded up for many years, have been opened, and the beautiful hard wood, much of it hand hewn, has been uncovered. In some of the rooms it has been found necessary to replaster. The old plaster has been removed, and the lath has also been removed. The lath was found to have been hand-split, and the nails were all hand-made, probably brought from England. Mr. Degn plans to restore the old property to its original condition as nearly as possible. Several old outbuildings have been torn down and the waste material consumed in the old fireplaces, which have not been used for a half century, in efforts to keep the place warm and to prevent freezing of the new plastering.
- 6/3/26: William Degn, owner of the Old Hope Lodge property, has planted out an extensive orchard.
- 5/5/27: Mr. William Degn and wife moved to their country residence, Hope Lodge.
- 5/12/27: A picnic was enjoyed by about 18 girls on the farm of William Degn last Saturday afternoon, the girls coming to Hope Lodge by a special bus.
- 6/2/27: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Degn entertained friends at dinner on Wednesday evening.
- 6/23/27: Mrs. William Degn entertained friends from Philadelphia on Sunday.
- 7/14/27: Mrs. Wm. Degn of Hope Lodge farm, entertained a few of her friends on Thursday afternoon.
- 8/4/27: Mrs. William Degn has purchased a Marmon 8.
- 8/18/27: Mr. William Degn purchased two cows last week.
- 9/22/27: Wm. L. Degn purchased seven cows at Kulpsville.
- 11/3/27: Mr. Degn is inclosing his back porch with glass.
- 11/17/27: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Degn entertained several of their friends on Thursday in honor of their wedding anniversary.
- 1/5/28: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. L. Degn, of Hope Lodge, and Joseph McCoy (William Degn's nephew, a Philadelphia lawyer and a bachelor) were entertained at a New Year's dinner on Monday evening in Phila.
- 2/9/28: Mrs. William Degn is suffering with the grip.
- 4/12/28: Mr. and Mrs. William Degn and Mrs. Abe Kinsey (wife of one of Degn's farmers) and daughter, Mary, of Hope Lodge Farm spent a day recently in Frenchtown, N.J.
- 1/3/29: Mr. and Mrs. William Degn spent Christmas week in Atlantic City.
- 1/11/29: Mr. and Mrs. William Degn and Mr. Joseph McCoy have returned from a trip to the West Indies.
- 6/26/30: Capt. Wm. R. Maris, of Fort Duquesne, visited his aunt, Mrs. Wm. L. Degn, of Hope Lodge, by airplane last week. The captain circled Hope Lodge three times, flying low, giving an aerial salute and then flew off.
- 7/17/30: Wm. L. Degn has harvested a fine crop of wheat on the old Hope Lodge farm. The corn also looks well.
- 7/30/30: The storm last Thursday evening damaged trees about here, in many cases blowing down limbs over highways and buildings. A large limb blocked the roadway leading to Edward Roberts quarry and a number of fine trees about the W. L. Degn property in Whitemarsh were shattered.
- 12/25/30: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. L. Degn will spend Christmas in Atlantic City.