« Return to Public Meeting page

Hope Lodge Background
agenda
  • 1743-48: House built by Samuel Morris, called Whitemarsh Estate
  • 1748-70: Samuel Morris
  • 1770-76: Inherited by Joshua Morris
  • 1776-82: William West
  • 1782-1832: Purchased by Henry Hope as a wedding gift for his ward, James Horatio Watmough, and lived in by two generations of Watmoughs. House renamed Hope Lodge
  • 1832-1921: Wentz family
  • 1921: Sold to Keasbey and Mattison, who planned on demolishing the house to extend a nearby limestone quarry
  • 1922-53: William and Alice Degn
  • 1953-57: Hope Lodge Foundation
  • 1957-present: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
  • present-future: ?????

www.ushistory.org/Hope