Homepage Guestbook Who We Are Trophy Case Links Buy a Flag Historic Gifts President's House / Morris Mansion Franklin Court Merchants Exchange Merchants Exchange Independence Hall Congress Hall Congress Hall Philosophical Hall Philosophical Hall Franklin Statue Franklin Statue Second Bank New Hall First Bank Carpenters' Hall Todd House Ft. Wilson Paine Place Willings Alley Powell House Hopkinson House Contributionship St. Mary's Wistar House Girard Row Girard Row
ushistory.org
Navigation bar
republicanphiladelphia

New Hall

New Hall
New Hall

Chestnut between 3rd and 4th Sts.

Adjacent to Carpenters' Hall, New Hall was the original "Pentagon." It housed the first Secretary of War, Henry Knox (one of only four cabinet secretaries at the time). He had little to do because America had no standing army (under 100 men) and approximately 840 men working in "Indian Affairs" in the American frontier.

New Hall was the site of the founding of the U.S. Navy in the spring of 1798. John Adams felt that the United States should not depend on the British Navy to protect American vessels from French privateers. Later that year, on July 11, 1798, the U.S. Marine Corps was founded at New Hall, making it the home of U.S. national defense.

Next stop >

map
Clickable map
Click here for Store