Home Pictures History In the News Petition Links Donate
Black Horse Inn

Springfield Inns (From Chestnut Hill to Whitemarsh)

History index

Wheelpump Inn

c. 1725, licensed 1742 10½ milestone

Ottinger's

1743 east side of Pike

Evening Rest

1746 west side north of Ottinger's

Eagle

1762 or by 1760 11½ milestone, west side of Pike

Black Horse

1744/1833 11½ milestone, east side of Pike

Wagon & Horses

(Today, Halligan's) 1765 sw corner of Bethlehem Pike & West Mill Road.

Mason's

c. 1744 directly across from Wagon & Horses

Green Tree

1811 e side of Pike, near Whitemarsh line

Bethlehem Pike or the "Great Road" was petitioned for in 1698 and opened in 1703. Part of a highway system from Philadelphia to the Moravian settlement in Bethlehem, it was completed by 1734. Starting from the Germantown Pike in Chestnut Hill, it runs for a mile and a half through Springfield Township. Eight inns were located along this stretch with the most centrally located of these at the 11 ½ milestone were the Black Horse and the Eagle. Over this road, local lime was carried to the city and grain was carried from as far away as Salford to be ground at a number of nearby mills on the Wissahickon Creek. By 1763 a stagecoach line ran between Philadelphia and Bethlehem and by 1820 nine stage lines traveled through Flourtown daily. As Flourtown was approximately 10 miles from the city and horses were rested or changed at about 10-mile intervals, this was the first stop outward bound and the last stop inbound. With the most extensive accommodations for farmers and lime carriers as far as stabling went and with blacksmiths, wheelwrights and harness makers immediately adjacent the Black Horse and the Eagle captured the major portion of the commercial trade.

Inns served farmers and lime carriers to 1763 when it picked up the stagecoach traffic. After 1901 it served the trolley lines until they were discontinued in 1926.