Philadelphia Timeline, 1824
- March 31. Legislature incorporated a company to construct a railroad from Philadelphia to Columbia, in Lancaster County; the company to be called "The President, Directors and Company of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company."
- During the year Schuylkill water was introduced into 3,954 private houses, and 185 manufactories.
- May 9. Fire in the Northern Liberties, Third Street near Brown. About thirty houses destroyed.
- September 27. Arrival of Gen. Lafayette in Philadelphia stopping and sleeping at the Frankford Arsenal.
- Grand procession on the 28th. Reception in Independence Hall.
- A census taken in 1824 showed that the city contained fifty-five printing offices, one hundred and fifty printers.
Excerpted from "Happenings in ye Olde Philadelphia 1680-1900" by Rudolph J. Walther, 1925, Walther Printing House, Philadelphia, PA