Paoli Battlefield
Home History About Us Directions Calendar Park Usage FAQs Links Contact Us
m_full
charge
Wayne Leads the Charge!
HELP US BECOME A LANDMARK!
FacebookTwitter

1877 Paoli Monument

The monument is made of granite. It is 22 1/2 feet high. The inscriptions of the four sides are given here.

m_east
East Side

Erected by citizens of
Chester and Delaware counties,
September 20, 1877, being
THE CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY
of the Paoli Massacre.
The other inscriptions
on this monument are copied from
the memorial stone
formerly standing here,
which was erected by
the Republican Artillerists,
and other citizens of
Chester County
September 20 1817

 

m_west
West Side

Sacred
to the memory of
the Patriots
who on this spot
fell a sacrifice to
British barbarity
During the struggle for
AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE,
on the night of
the 20th September 1777

 

m_north
North Side

The
Atrocious Massacre
which
this stone commemorates
was perpetrated
by British troops
under the
immediate command of
Major General Grey

 

m_south
South Side

Here repose the remains
of fifty three
AMERICAN SOLDIERS
Who were the victims of
cold-blooded cruelty
in the well known
MASSACRE AT PAOLI
while under the command of
Genl. Anthony Wayne
an officer whose military conduct
bravery and humanity
were equally conspicuous throughout
THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR