Troop Array at Red Clay Creek

The troops immediately dug in, building redoubts and entrenchments. Cannon were placed on a rise "for half a mile as thick as they could stand." The new encampment covered a triangular area with the towns of Newport, Marshallton, and Stanton forming the connecting points.

Very "heavy dews fell after sunset" and the exhausted Delaware militia fell back to the Kirkwood farm near White Clay Creek after a busy day harrassing Howe's troops.

Sullivan's division, with Greene supporting, was on the northern flank. Stirling, with General Stephen's and General Wayne's support, was on the southern flank, which was closest to the enemy. This formation allowed Washington greater flexibility in moving divisions with little notice.

Most of the militia was elsewhere: part of Potter's Pennsylvania militia was in Newport, the rest were defending the fords of Brandywine, and Irvine's Continental brigade of Pennsylvanians was in Wilmington to expedite defenses there.

Copyright ©1997-2013 Independence Hall Association


Philadelphia Campaign 1777